Just wanted to verify: I don't work for, or endorse, any store or company I talk about in my blog posts. I don't get paid for writing, I just do it because I want to.

Thursday, April 29, 2010

A good button is hard to find

What: gray, purple, teal buttons
Where: Pacific, M&J, Botani, Daytona
Price: $2 - $4 per button

So today was a huge challenge for me.  I was asked to find buttons to match three sweaters, all different colors: dark gray, purple, and teal.  Now, I knew before I went out that teal was going to be nearly impossible.  I had found a good teal button on a separate trip, but this time they wanted one that was about 52 ligne, which is pretty big. 

Normally, gray is about the hardest color there is to match, but I actually found a pretty decent gray button at Pacific Trimmings on 38th street.  Surprisingly, purple is not a horribly difficult color to locate.  I found a good one at M&J Trimmings.  I figured I would find a decent button in one of the colors at M&J because they have a pretty good selection of novelty buttons and buttons in bright colors.  But still, no teal.  I went all around to about 8 different stores, including LuLu Buttons on 38th between 6th and 5th, and Botani on 36th between 7th and 8th, both of which specialize in buttons.  I had no luck in either store, but I did have some luck in Daytona Trimmings... and I say 'some luck' generously.  I found a button that would have to do because I couldn't find a closer teal color.  They were actually more blue than I would have liked but they would have to do.

Moral of the story: the chances of finding a good teal button are about the same as the chances of winning of the lottery.  My advice is to go to LuLu and get the guy who owns the store to dye buttons to match whatever garment you are looking for.  The price is hefty, but if it's really important that the button match as closely as possible, the only way you are going to find a good teal is get the buttons dyed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment