Just wanted to verify: I don't work for, or endorse, any store or company I talk about in my blog posts. I don't get paid for writing, I just do it because I want to.

Monday, April 26, 2010

The epic search for polka dots

Now I have to day, finding polka dot fabric is not the most difficult challenge I've been faced with while sourcing... by far.  I left the office feeling optimistic that I would be able to find polka dot jersey and shirting, but a little apprehensive about my ability to find polka dot chiffon or some other kind of sheer fabric resembling it.

I was right about one thing: finding polka dot shirting material was a cinch.  I found some right away at Elegant on 40th street between 7th and 8th.  They have a pretty decent variety of cute springy colors for about $10-$15 per yard, depending on the quality of the fabric in question.  I didn't find sheer or jersey polka dots here.  Not being able to find something at this store got my spirits down a little bit because I thought I would be able to at least find a good knit.  I moved on to Fabrics Garden on 39th street between 7th and 8th.  They have a really big selection of knits so I figured I might be more successful there.  I was right; they did have several polka dot knits in pretty colors and a couple of sheer polka dots as well.  The guy there was new so he wouldn't cut me swatches but he didn't care if I took pictures, so I did.  He didn't know about pricing, but I do know that the solid knits are about $8 per yard, so the printed knits are probably a few more dollars.  I walked farther down the street and hit a store called AK Fabrics (also on 39th street).  I wasn't surprised that they didn't have much of a selection of knits, or sheers, but they do have a really big selection of shirting material.  I found a few cool lightweight polka dots and walked back out.  I decided that I would probably have the best luck finding knits at Spandex House, on 38th street between 7th and 8th, considering that they only sell stretch fabrics.  I browsed through all the cotton and rayon jersey but they only had stripes and solids.  On the way out, I passed a lot of polka dots... unfortunately, they were all in swimsuit material and I was looking for something that could be used for shirts.  I checked Spandex World (also on 38th street) but they had about the same selection as Spandex House.  I looked in a couple more of the smaller fabric stores but was unsuccessful.  As I was walking back to the office, I thought about how crazy it is to have such a limited selection of polka dot fabric in a city with about a million fabric stores.  I'll have to do some more research...

What: polka dot knit, polka dot sheer, polka dot shirting
Where: ElegantFabrics GardenAK FabricsSpandex HouseSpandex World
How much: $8-$15 per yard

No comments:

Post a Comment