Just wanted to verify: I don't work for, or endorse, any store or company I talk about in my blog posts. I don't get paid for writing, I just do it because I want to.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Nothing in particular...

So I have to admit that today was a bit different for me, just because of the fact that not one person asked me to go sourcing for them.  But, around mid-afternoon, one of my coworkers asked me if I'd like to come with her to Metro Textiles on 37th between 7th and 8th.  I said yes because she had told me about how good the place was and I wanted to see for myself.

To be exact, Metro Textiles is located at 265 W 37th street on the 9th floor.  When I got there I was a little bit surprised with how small the space is.  There are bolts of fabric everywhere.  The shelves go up to the ceiling and they are absolutely filled with bolts.  There are also tons of bolts just stacked everywhere.  Despite having only a little bit of space to move around, their selection is pretty extensive.  They have just about everything you might need.  The downside to the selection is that they only have a few bolts of different fabrics.  So you go in needing polyester chiffon, for example, but they only have a small selection.  That's basically the story with all the fabrics they have.  But most of the stuff they do have is really good; I found an awesome metallic stretch lace that I absolutely must go back and buy later.  The best thing about the store is that they have amazing prices.  A yard of georgette is only $3 and a yard of muslin is only $2.25.  You really can't beat either of those prices.  Most of the plain shirting and light cottons will run about $6 per yard which is also unbeatable.  They'll cut you pretty much as many swatches as you want (within reason of course).

So all in all, if you want to find fabrics for a good price, go to Metro Textiles.  But if you want a big selection, I might suggest going elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment