Just wanted to verify: I don't work for, or endorse, any store or company I talk about in my blog posts. I don't get paid for writing, I just do it because I want to.

Friday, May 7, 2010

One of those days

What: metal shank buttons
Where: Pacific Trimmings
How much: $0.25-$1.25

Again, another day without sourcing.  It's very weird for me to not have anyone ask me to source anything, as that is a big part of my days at work.  I did get to go out and buy stuff for people though; one them being something I'm asked to buy most frequently: domed metal shank buttons.  They give a good military look to things, especially in antique brass and antique silver, which is what I'm always asked to buy. 

Now, you'd think that you'd be able to find these buttons at any trim and button store there is.  And that's somewhat true.  These are easier to find than most things because they are so basic.  The problem is finding good ones.  A lot of metal buttons are way too heavy for most things, or they look really cheap.  A good majority of the buttons that look like this are actually plastic finished to look like silver or gold; they really just come off looking low-quality. 

The one place I always go when I need these buttons is Pacific Trimmings on 38th street.  They have a really good selection of both antique and shiny metal buttons and they have a big size range.  They also have these buttons in a dome shape and just a flat disc shape.  The big ones come in really handy for outerwear and I like small shiny ones for cute closures or details.  They run about $0.25-$1.25, the price increasing in relation to the button size.

No comments:

Post a Comment