Just wanted to verify: I don't work for, or endorse, any store or company I talk about in my blog posts. I don't get paid for writing, I just do it because I want to.

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Buttons, buttons everywhere

I have to say before I start this post, that I am not much of a user of buttons.  I do always find myself perusing the buttons section at any trim store I may go into, but I always end up going with a zipper if I need a closure.  But, in my many days working as in intern for various companies, I have been asked to source countless amounts of buttons in different colors, sizes, and materials.  In my experience, a good button can be a difficult thing to find.  Most of the time, there is a specific idea of what kind of button needs to be used for the garment that is being made and having to go out and find the button that exists in your head is a much bigger deal than anticipated.

image source: www.diaryofaquilter.com
To start, I will have to say that M&J Trimming (on 6th Avenue, between 38th and 37th streets) has, hands down, the best button selection I have seen at any trim store I have been to.  Not only do they have just about every color button known to man, but they also have just about any material that exists: leather, pleather, wood, shell, horn, plastic, metal, fabric.  The picture at right is merely a tiny portion of the amount of buttons that is available.  M&J is especially great if you need any sort of novelty button.  They have all sorts of super fun buttons (like those sparkly gold and silver star buttons in the picture).  The one and only downside to shopping at M&J is the price situation.  The fact is that they are more expensive than most other stores.  If you want a plain plastic button it will only run you a few dollars for six or seven buttons, which is comparable to most other trim stores.  But if you want a novelty button (especially anything metal, wood, or leather) it could cost up to five dollars PER BUTTON.  Now just imagine: you're making a coat and need six nice leather buttons.  That is already thirty dollars spent just for the buttons.

image source: www.lindsaytsews.com
Unfortunately, there is no other store that has nearly the selection that M&J has.  The store takes up a good percentage of a city block, which means they have a lot of merchandise.  But if you are willing to go to a few different stores for the sake of finding the perfect button, there are a few more affordable options.  Joyce Buttons and Trims (on 38th street, between 6th Avenue and Broadway) does have a pretty decent selection of novelty buttons.  The specialize in the more glamorous buttons, such as ones with crystals and jewels.  While not super cheap (a jewel button will run about two-five dollars a piece), they are still more affordable than M&J, not to mention that they have cheaper alternatives in the store.

image source: www.lindsaytsews.com
If you are looking for a more basic button (think solid color, plastic, two or four hole) I would absolutely recommend Pacific Trimming (also known as "YKK", on 38th street, between 7th and 8th Avenues).  The store is a little cramped, so I generally try to avoid going there, but they are still the best for a basic button.  The picture at right, shows one of the button aisles in the back of the store.  There are hundreds of button drawers to choose from, it can be a little overwhelming.  But it is almost impossible to go into this store with the intention of buying buttons, and leaving without buying any.  I have found that they are the absolute best for basic black and white, as well plain old flat metal shank buttons (great if you are going for the military look).  The best thing about the buttons in the store is that on average, they are less than two dollars per button.  Some even go for as little as fifty cents per button.  They do have some very fancy buttons as well, but I would suggest avoiding these, as they are quite pricey.

Now, if after going to all three stores, you are still unable to find the button you want, I would suggest trying Lulu Buttons (on 38th street, between 6th and 5th Avenues).  This is store is a tiny, narrow, one-room store.  They don't have much of a selection but you can occasionally find a cool novelty button or two.  The one advantage this store has is that they will dye buttons to match the garment.  The button is dyed using the closest pantone match to the color of the garment.  It can get pretty expensive, but if you really want a button to match, this is probably the best way to do it.

In the end, finding a button can be an overwhelming task.  It is all about knowing what you want and where to go to find it.

1 comment:

  1. do you have the name of a button dying service in NYC?

    ReplyDelete